[aprssig] A Proposal for the Continuation of APRS / candidates for depreciation

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Mon Feb 14 11:18:54 EST 2022

The APRS 3rd party format enables non-AX.25 message sources (-SSIDs not
in the 0 to 15 range including alpha-numerics) to send messages to AX.25
over RF stations.  The base APRS message specification already supports
sending messages to non-AX.25-compatible-SSID stations.

Eliminating 3rd party formats for (at least) messages gated to AX.25
over RF effectively eliminates this capability.

PS.  Kenwood APRS radios support messaging with non-AX.25 -SSID
stations.  Unfortunately, Yaesu's APRS radios do not support this at
this time, even though they DO support the 3rd party wrapper. The issue
appears to be in their messaging subsystem, not in their packet parsing.