[aprssig] Modems and FEC

Will Marchant will at spaceflightsoftware.com
Mon Feb 14 10:15:35 EST 2022

While I would like to see APRS "improve with age" I'm fully behind the
"support the existing customer base" philosophy.  There should be a
feeling of respect for the people that spent money and effort to use
APRS in the field.

I have a handful of APRS systems I fly on model rockets.  And a couple
of APRS capable handhelds.  I'd like those to stay reasonably relevant
for a while.

And we should remember that "installed hardware" includes space based
systems that have a big impact on public outreach for the hobby.  Having
APRS and/or the voice repeater available on the ISS gives hams doing
grass roots educational activity a reliable example of cool ham
activity.  Changing out the ARISS APRS system on the ISS will not be
easy or cheap.

Forming a non-profit to make sure APRS is supported and relevant sounds
like a great idea.

But it seems like there should be a way to engage the manufacturing
community into that organization.  While there are some "software only"
APRS implementations I would be extremely sorry to see things like the
TH-D74 and FT5DR, with embedded APRS support, go away.

Having a handheld radio with a complete, if minimal, tracking capability
is invaluable in the field.  Extra boxes and the required harness will
get caught up in bushes.
	73,
	Will

--