[aprssig] APRS roadmap planning proposal / Proposal for the Continuation of APRS

Nick VA3NNW tapr at noseynick.com
Sun Feb 13 17:29:21 EST 2022

John Zaruba wrote:
> I would be very excited to help out with [Scott KD9PDP's] 2.4.

I'd be delighted to help out with ANY/ALL of Scott's listed points,
especially "Open Source" and "Github".

When Jeff's "Proposal for the Continuation of APRS" said "couple of
others in the APRS community [...] actively giving consideration to
joining John and I", the "ideal best-case scenario" would be to find
that Jeff W4JEW, John WA1KLI, Steve K4HG, Scott KD9PDP, Hessu, Andrew
KA2DDO are ALL on the same page - in which case this is a no-brainer,
absolutely, and sign me up too, in any way I can help!   :-)

I have developed several APRS and IRLP projects, including an email2aprs
gateway and some "big data" stats analysis on a 5-year archive of all
APRS-IS packets. I chatted with Bob about LocalInfo / FreqSpec / AVRS a
few months back with the intention of getting all IRLP (and later
EchoLink) repeaters "on the map" and injecting new life into some of his
previous AVRS proposals. At work I live and breathe open-source and
github and have been the architect of cloud-scale resilient distributed
infrastructures for IoT, often telling my team "Yeah I've been doing
this newfangled IoT stuff for over a quarter-century, us Radio Amateurs
call it APRS".

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209, IRLP #2410
use Std::Disclaimer;sig at noseynick.net
Easy new years resolution: Do Passwords PROPERLY!
  ... seehttps://noseynick.net/vault.html
EBCDIC: Erase, Back up, Chew Disk, Ignite Card