[aprssig] APRS tocalls.txt - practical steps

Randy Hall aa6rh at socorad.io
Fri Feb 11 12:41:01 EST 2022

> One area that I see being important to the future of APRS is telemetry
> which should be expanded and improved. Another thing that I would to see is
> a registry for digipeaters (and possibly igates) that allow identification
> and operator contact for stations with issues such as the well known
> "delayed packet" problem. At some point, coordination of digipeaters may
> also be necessary as well as local policy digipeating.

I agree wholeheartedly that telemetry is an area where APRS as a protocol
could do much better.

I do have concerns about registries. This starts down the slippery slope of
gatekeeping, which I know exists is the realm of repeater coordinators
already. I understand the need for repeater coordinators, and it may be
useful in *some* metropolitan areas to need coordination in order to have
digis and igates play nicely together (looking at you, SF Bay Area). I
would suggest providing a framework to those geographies so that they can
be more successful in coordinating stations, while not limiting the
usefulness of the overall APRS network by stifling novel ad-hoc stations
for things like public service events, actual emergency incidents, etc.

But yeah, telemetry is relatively unplowed soil for APRS.

--R
*--*
*Randy AA6RH*
*aa6rh at socorad.io <aa6rh at socorad.io>*
*Grid Square: CM88pl*

*QRZ Profile <https://www.qrz.com/db/aa6rh>*
*Sonoma County DMR: BrandMeister 31707
<https://brandmeister.network/?page=lh&jsonquery=%7B%22condition%22%3A%22AND%22%2C%22rules%22%3A%5B%7B%22id%22%3A%22DestinationID%22%2C%22field%22%3A%22DestinationID%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22integer%22%2C%22input%22%3A%22text%22%2C%22operator%22%3A%22equal%22%2C%22value%22%3A%2231707%22%7D%5D%7D>*