[aprssig] APRS tocalls.txt - practical steps

Bob Poortinga aprssig at k9sql.us
Fri Feb 11 12:12:12 EST 2022

Since Steve asked for comments, here is my 2 cents.

I think it is wonderful that Hessu has volunteered to take on this task.  I
fully support him doing this (with Steve's conditions). This is something
that needs to be done without introducing needless delay. I also fully
support the move to Github which is something that should have done years
ago. Any other APRS metadata which requires updating and maintenance should
also be moved to Github.

Hessu has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the area of modernizing
APRS. This is a protocol that is almost 30 years old and badly needs to be
updated and streamlined if it is to remain viable. That includes removing
some of the kludges introduced into the protocol by Bob for devices and
software that no longer exist and features that are never used. Bob had
great ideas and imagination, but implemention was sometimes a hack.

One area that I see being important to the future of APRS is telemetry
which should be expanded and improved. Another thing that I would to see is
a registry for digipeaters (and possibly igates) that allow identification
and operator contact for stations with issues such as the well known
"delayed packet" problem. At some point, coordination of digipeaters may
also be necessary as well as local policy digipeating.

Bob was a visionary, but also opinionated and stubborn at times which
sometimes worked against him. Being of Dutch (Fries) ancestry myself, the
saying " You can tell a Dutchman, but you can't tell him much" is often
ascribed to us. RIP, Bob.

73,
Bob Poortinga W9IZ