[aprssig] Fwd: [atgp] How much power required for a backpack tracker?

Eric H. Christensen eric at aehe.us
Wed Sep 29 16:08:01 EDT 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, September 29th, 2021 at 3:52 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> Forwarded from the Appalachian Trail APRS event list:
> So, such a light weight tracker would last about 75 days or about the
> time of a full hike of the 2000 mile Appalachian Trail. But 6 AA cells
> is not lightweight. For a 550 mAh 9V battery, the life would be about
> ten days. Still not too bad.

I'm not sure it would be a great idea to move to a 9V battery due to weight.  All of my electronics for my hiking and SAR gear use AA batteries due to their ease of access, cheap cost, and ability to charge while underway.  Adding yet-another-type of battery wouldn't be great.  There's a reason that federal incident teams deploy with AA batteries for their radios.

73,
Eric WG3K