[aprssig] APRS Object & Weather format

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Oct 25 12:52:39 EDT 2021

I still can't quite accept that it's been more than 20 years since that
spec was released!

I was recently helping out with an EU-based citizen science initiative
that was at about the point APRS was before the spec - with a very ad
hoc system that everyone /thinks/ they understand but no one has exactly
the same understanding of. John Ackermann's introduction to the APRS
spec perfectly explained the problem and how it was addressed.

I think it made an impression on them, but it also made me realize that
a bunch of recent college grads probably consider it irrelevant ancient
history because it happened when they were in preschool. I was their age
when I started working on the OpenTracker, and got my extra class
license mostly just to be taken seriously in this SIG. Now I'm one of
the old farts going on about how we did it back in the day.

Scott
N1VG