[aprssig] Are there ready made Digipeaters available to buy?

KENT HUFFORD KHUFFORD at ATLANTICBB.NET
Wed May 26 21:28:41 EDT 2021

Kenwoods are capable of acting as digipeaters.

Although the FTM-400XDR has a more complete APRS feature set, I don't think it can act as a digipeater. I have never seen a Yaesu rig with digipeater functionality.

Kent

KQ4KK

From: aprssig <aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org> On Behalf Of David Dobbins
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 8:09 PM
To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Are there ready made Digipeaters available to buy?

You could buy a TM-D710GA or equivalent Yaesu FTM-400, but what a waste of a great radio to serve as a standalone digipeater.

I'd recommend a KPC-3+ TNC, configured for digi use per our nwaprs.org <http://nwaprs.org>  web site, a VHF mobile radio, and puck GPS. You can find KPC-3 and radio used for $100 each, and GPS for $50. As you move around in the mobile command post, the digi position will auto update.

I have a portable digi with that configuration here at the house, K7GPS-10, but can be moved anywhere when needed.

If not used for APRS digi, TNC can also be used for packet communications.

David K7GPS

NWAPRS