[aprssig] Solar BS (Bulletin Station)

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 19:43:48 EDT 2021

 Thanks to Bob and Steve for the insight I was looking for.  The math is pretty simple.
I'm off to give it a go!
Ev, W2EV

    On Saturday, May 8, 2021, 1:04:15 PM EDT, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

 Beacon Power budget:
- XCVR assume 1 amp 100% of time = 1 A
- XMTR assume 10 amps 0.3% of time = 0.03 A
- TNC  assume 50 mA 100% of time  = 0.05 A
Total average current  -                        1.08 A
Times 24 hours a day                          28 AHrs

28 AH per day divided by Avg Solar Radiance per day (4 hrs for
Maryland) 28/4= 7 Amp solar panel

But there may be cloudy days so plan on a full size car battery with
maybe 80 AH capacity and maybe 12 Amp panel

Noice that the Receiver is the #1 load by far.  Keep volume all the
way down and measure it exactly rather than using my 1 Amp guess.
It will make a huge difference.  Then recalculate.    TX power is insignificant.

Bob