[aprssig] LoRa APRS (was Re: Cows ... uuh ... CATS In Space)

Dana Myers k6jq at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 11:46:56 EDT 2021

On 6/15/2021 7:38 AM, Greg Clark wrote:
> I did a similar project with a LoRa module, just 20 x 25 mm..
>
> http://old.bigredbee.com/loram8.htm <http://old.bigredbee.com/loram8.htm>

Very cool!

I did a similar experiment a few years ago, using an eByte +30dBm module
and mag-mount antennas (GPS + LoRa) on a car. My APRS-IS gateway was
not located well, so coverage was not great, but I did show up in APRS-IS
on 915MHz APRS :-)

Since then, I'd be more inclined to use LoRaWAN ABP (no ADR), particularly
since I have access to high-level LoRa gateways in the area. I'm seeing 20+
miles range with this configuration of the same science fair project hardware
I did APRS on.

In fact, that's an interesting thought - doing a ChirpStack integration to APRS-IS.

73,
Dana  K6JQ