[aprssig] Options for robust digipeaters

L.C. Kimball n0nhj at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 23:39:26 EST 2021

Really depends on the details.

I've got a lot of equipment on Mountain Tops.
A lot of them are the KPC3+, and they do just run.  I've had one that
failed, but I suspect Lightning was the root cause of it's problems.
Several have been in place 15 years now.     Oh, did just remember one
failure I fixed last summer, the actual plastic of the on/off switch
apparently dried out enough that the switch failed and would no longer
latch on (would power it if you held the switch). Dab of solder solved
that problem.

For solar powered sites, I have a few that were KPC3+ and assorted
radios, but I eventually standardized on the Argent data T3-301, which
sadly is no longer available.   It was the TNC and Radio in a nice sized
package.  That with a solar controller and 17AH Battery all fit in a
8x8x4" Electrical box.

For the question about remote control, both the KPC3+, and the T3-301
allowed changes remotely.   Which was handy since several of my sites
are 12,000 feet or higher, and a couple are a significant hike in.

The other unit I've used a couple of and have been pretty happy with, is
the unit from Poland, the Microsat WX3in1 Mini.  It's an Igate that has
the Ethernet interface built in and has a web interface for the settings
so can be programmed remotely.   I've had one of those in service for a
couple of years now as an Igate and haven't needed to touch it.
Depending on exchange rates it's a very reasonable priced unit, I think
HRO even carries them now. I've got a portable unit built up in an old
GR300 cabinet with the handle on top, that has a GM300, and one of those
units, that anyone could plug in the Ethernet cable, put out a mag mount
antenna, and plug it into AC and it would be up and running.

my .02 worth.

Chuck   n0nhj