[aprssig] Options for robust digipeaters

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:28:32 EST 2021

This doesn't directly answer the questions but should apply:

A buddy of mine has been putting Rpi-4 systems onto mountaintops for
digipeaters, running Raspian Linux and SVXlink. Before you guys wince
and think "I wouldn't use an Rpi for that, they're not reliable
enough!"... I had the same thoughts initially.

The keys are:

- Buy very good and fast SDcards which are much larger than what you
need (spreads the writes across the card). Like 32 or 64 GB cards that
are name brand and fast.

- Use an Rpi UPS board that can control the reset pin.

- Set up scripts that take down the Rpi nicely when the UPS runs out.

- My buddy designed an Rpi board which controls two radios (with a
soundcard on there of course and PTT circuitry). He orders/builds more
as he needs them, he doesn't market or sell them.

He started deploying with earlier Rpi's and in fact one mountaintop
site is still running an earlier Rpi, like maybe a 2? That one will
get replaced with an Rpi4 when things warm up again here and he can
get to the mountaintop.

Some of these sites have RF links to other repeaters, a bunch have
internet links, some of those via HamWAN (another subject entirely).
The system works great, and he can adjust the audio in/out of each
radio remotely.

Anyway, that's one example of a H/W setup that could easily run
Direwolf instead of SVXlink and do what you're asking, 1200-baud-wise.
As far as 9600 baud you might need to do some experimentation to
figure that out.

Commercial Rpi radio-control boards (not what my buddy is using, but
nice boards nevertheless) are available, like the DRAWS boards from
Northwest Digital.

He says he's using Sandisk high-endurance 32GB SDcards now, but may go
to USB 3 SSD in the future. If he goes to those he may skip the UPS
board.

Curt, WE7U        http://xastir.org        http://www.sarguydigital.com