[aprssig] AnyTone AT-D878UVII Plus (Follow Up)

Stephen H Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 22:07:30 EST 2021

On 12/9/2021 8:19 PM, MJ Inabnit wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A local ham, who has never ventured into either APRS nor DMR has asked
> me if this radio would work on our analog (144.390) aprs network.  I
> don't know anyone who owns one.
>
> Thank you, 73

I just realized you are referring to the AT-D878 II Plus.  I was talking about
the earlier non-Plus version. The manual for the earlier version makes no
mention of APRS, particularly on receive.  Some web sites (as I cited
previously) say it can be made to transmit analog FM APRS beacons.

Apparently, the Plus version CAN both send and receive APRS posits, although a
lot of users are finding it difficult to set up.   Apparently, you must have
the configuration/setup software for the PC, and the oddball connecting cable
to do it.      I don't know if it has any messaging capability ala a Kenwood
APRS handheld.