[aprssig] New Open Source APRS Bot and some questions wrt APRS TOCALL

Jörg Schultze-Lutter joerg.schultze.lutter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 07:33:36 EDT 2021

Andrew - thank you for your feedback.

- The reason for writing my own bot is quite simple: WXBOT does not work
for international users but only for users on U.S. soil. As much as I'd
love to use WXBOT, it simply does not work for me. Last year, I had a chat
with Martin about changing his WxBot's source for its weather data to
OpenWeatherMap (which I use as my wx data source) and I suggested this
change for a future release. Due to the pandemic and mainly because my Perl
skills suck, I then decided to come up with my own little bot rather than
extending Wxbot. It is my understanding that the current constraint wrt
U.S. wx data made other APRS operators clone Martin's wxbot and have them
run their own instances. For example, WXYO and WXSVR-AU are -to my
knowledge- WXBOT clones which have been amended to support local wx needs.
Last but not least, developing the bot was a nice programming exercise.
- Good point regarding "places of interest". The list of supported
OpenStreetMap categories can be amended easily by simply changing the list
of entries in the program config file. Such a modification would have a
global impact but it's definitely doable. On the other hand - if I would be
forced to apply the European Union's GDPR regulation, all of us Europeans
would probably no longer be able to use APRS anyway. Talk about crazy
lawyers sending you cease-and-desist notifications just for using (user)
data that is freely available on the Internet.
- The bot is indeed intended to be run 24x7 (and has been running 24x7 for
the past 2 months or so). Similar to Martin's Wxbot, I do host it on my
local Raspberry Pi but ultimately, its hosting might be done by a dedicated
host. Traffic-wise, its internet usage should be much lower than WXBOT as I
use a dedicated call sign filter whereas -iirc- WXBOT polls APRS-IS for all
messages. Additionally, all tasks which require e.g. updating repeater
data, TLE files or cleaning up the program's email account run in an
automated manner. With the exception of e.g. program updates and/or updates
to the Pi itself, there shouldn't be downtimes.
- UTF-8: this is indeed a tricky issue. Every message that is sent to an
audience whose UTF-8 capabilities are not know has to be plain ASCII
content which is just one extra step in my program's APRS communication
core. My idea was that whenever I would respond to a user's request, I
would be able to send out UTF-8 content if that user's transceiver/program
give me an indication about its support status for UTF-8. Nevertheless, I
can totally live with sending out plain ASCII content.

Thank you
Joerg
DF1JSL