[aprssig] What is APRS, really?

Paul Bramscher pfbram at comcast.net
Sat Oct 24 23:41:25 EDT 2020

I took my Kenwood TH-D72 out to a regional park on a hike a couple days
ago and TX'd some APRS beacons (KD0KZE-7) as I hiked in cold weather.
I'm also a paid subscriber of the Android app called Locus Map and
recorded my positions that way via GPS.

The APRS mapping required no cell plan, no paid app, and not even the
internet.

That's a pretty decent back-up plan in case all else fails.  The way I
see it, it's all about the infrastructure.  The guy picking up my
signals was another ordinary Joe Sixpacks ham who lived near that park.
 If some global dotcom went bankrupt, etc. and left the area it would
have made no difference.  He was there and heard my beacons.

73, KD0KZE / Paul