[aprssig] Precedence Bit and IP Encapsulation

Iain R. Learmonth irl at hambsd.org
Tue May 19 14:19:03 EDT 2020

Hi,

On 19/05/2020 18:06, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> I'd love to hear if any system in APRS actually implemented the Precedence
> bit?
> http://aprs.org/aprs12/precedence-bit.txt
>
> Basically it is making the Table-Overlay character a lower case character.
> Back in 2013, the limit on implementing it was UIVIEW that wouild not let
> a user enter a lower case overlay character.
> But UIVIEW should no longer be a holdback...  Though probably radios
> cannot enter a lower case either...

It's actually the RR bit that I said to look at in the draft. I'm not
sure if the RR bit spec talks about setting that bit when a lower case
overlay is used automatically.

http://aprs.org/aprs12/RR-bits.txt

The reason for this is to make it easier to handle, as this is a
low-level network function it shouldn't have to parse the APRS packet
information field.

Thanks,

Iain.

--