[aprssig] HF APRS igates on fldigi

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun May 10 12:58:39 EDT 2020

On 5/10/2020 12:07 PM, Joe Della Barba wrote:
 > 2 questions:
 >
 > 1. Is there a missing piece I need between FLDIGI and YAAC or Xastir? It
seems FLDIGI sets up a KISS TNC on 127.0.0.1 and the APRS programs are looking
for a serial port?

You need to create a new KISS-over-IP port in YAAC. Specify the same IP address
127.0.0.1 (the special "magic" IP address a.k.a. "localhost" that always means
"your own PC" - not another device on your network) and the same port number as
in FLdigi.

If you want to use an APRS client that only does KISS-over-serial-port (for
using a classic serial-interface TNC) like UIview, there ARE two more missing
pieces required.  These are a pair of open-source freeware tools that create a
serial<-->TCPIP bridge.  Details on setting up and using these tools called
"Com0com" will be on forthcoming web pages about "FLdigi APRS".

 > 2. Can I just write out a string to send by hand for a proof of concept?

Yes this would work, if you compose an APRS text string exactly like the APRS
application would send to a TNC.   All the fol-de-rol with KISS and IP
addresses is only a middleman to get a text string generated in the APRS
application into the transmit buffer of FLdigi.

Compose a string like this in a basic ASCII editor like Windows Notepad. Be
sure to edit for your callsign and the lat/long values in proper NMEA/APRS format.

     WA8LMF-13>APU25N:=4244.54N/08423.82WlTest via FLdigi.

Copy/paste this into the FLdigi transmit window, and hit the TX button. It
should key up and send the string in whatever mode you currently have selected
in FLdigi.

A second step would be to paste this string into one of the programmable macro
buttons in FLdigi, along with <TX> before and <RX> after. Then a single click
of the macro key will key up the radio on transmit, send the string, and then
unkey.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating  ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps