[aprssig] HF APRS igates on fldigi (Let Users manually beacon)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat May 9 11:09:25 EDT 2020

IMHO, users should be able to hit a key and beacon on demand at any time.
Frequently when you are doing something,, or in a QSO, you dont want to
wait 30 minutes for your next positbeacon to refresh.

APRSdos went a step further.  Since it used a decay beacon rate so that
anytime the posit beacon changed, it was refreshed 8, then 16, then32,
seconds later and then 1, 2, 4, 8 16 minutes subsequently decaying to a 30
minute rate.  But if the PC detected user-at-the-PC for any reason, it
would restart the decay at 8 minutes again on down.  This way, if someone
was "present" his activity would be seen everywhere more quickly.

Bob