[aprssig] APRS POST HTTP

Nick VA3NNW tapr at noseynick.com
Sat Mar 7 15:03:39 EST 2020

John Gorkos wrote:
> Instead of using HTTP submit, use UDP packets, on port 8080.
>
> The format is
>
> user CALL pass 00000<linefeed>
>
> <properly formatted “on-air” packet><linefeed>

You're probably aware, but worth noting: UDP has no confirmation, no
ACKs, no retries, no reliability at all. It's certainly VERY
lightweight, your one over-the-air packet is creating exactly one
over-the-internet packet as well, but you're sending the packet out, and
have no idea whether it was received at the far end...

... on the other hand, the same can probably be said of all ham radio,
and APRS in particular, so if it already went over-the-air unreliably,
the UDP might be the least of your worries   :-)

> [...] A little bit of solder and some wire, plus about 10 minutes of
> programming will get you an internet enabled (or APRS-over-TCPIP
> enabled) environmental sensor for under $7 a piece.

Very cool! I may have missed, have you shared all this online, like on a
github or anywhere? Would love to hack around with it myself.

I've often referred to APRS as "IoT a quarter-century ahead of its time"
  :-)

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig at noseynick.net
Hacking's just another word for nothing left to kludge.