[aprssig] FW: APRS Question (Drone tracking of downed balloons)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 12 12:32:13 EDT 2020

Good info on the drone technology.  Thanks...

But the flight does not have to be but a few minutes.  And can be done
within line of sight.  Just drive to the last received position of the
balloon as it came down, plus a little bit of estimation and a good sense of
altitude (local hill) and launch the drone from there.

With the balloon doing a 1 minute APRS packet, (which is now a constant
position on the ground), it should not take but a few minutes to get that
posit.

Besides, its more toys to play with in the field.

The TinyTrackerTT4 (cut down from a MTT4B 10W tracker) only weighs  60g and
a 9v battery weighs 40g and makes a full function digi with Xcvr.  We use
these for all of our student satellite projects, but we have re-layed out
all the parts onto our own board to make it fit on a 3" square board and
without the 10 Watt amp.

They mention the 1 Watt Microtrack 1000 as having a transceiver, but it uses
the TT3 chip which I don’t thinkn has a packet receiver code? So it cannot
act as a digi?

Bob