[aprssig] APRS-IS: frames bypassing server filter

Nick VA3NNW tapr at noseynick.com
Thu Jul 16 00:18:25 EDT 2020

Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
> As such I'm not a great fan of the UDP submission method due to the
> inherent security issues of UDP one-way flows (they can be spoofed
> since there's no 3-way handshake), and the classic UDP joke about the
> other person not getting it.

I always thought the WHOLE POINT of UDP submission was the admission
that it's fairly prone to spoofing, poorly/unauthenticated,
unacknowledged without higher layer mechanisms, susceptible to packet
loss, and inherently insecure, ALMOST EXACTLY like the RF medium we're
getting the packets from.   :-p

Nick VA3NNW
[somewhat tongue-in-cheek]

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig at noseynick.net
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.