[aprssig] Flying Digipeaster Works (was APRS Question (Drone tracking of downed balloons)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 15 01:13:10 EDT 2020

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>
>> Wow!  I never heard of this device before.  Looks like it would be perfect on
>> my drone with a micro-stubby duck.  I'm ordering one today!
>>
>> The manual appears to be for a previous version of the firmware and doesn't
>> mention the digi function.   More concerning, the manual seems to imply the
>> transmit path is hardwired to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 , which would be horrendous up
>> in the air several hundred feet.  Perhaps the newer firmware can let you set
>> the path as needed.
>>
>> The other question not answered by the manual:   It refers to using the
>> device as a TNC or GPS for an external computer.  It DOESN'T mention what
>> kind of serial<-->USB driver is required to create the virtual COM port.

I've receive the PicoAPRS device and have it piggybacked on my Autel EVO drone.
  I've had it up for a couple of test flights and can confirm that the PicoAPRS
Velcroed to the top of the drone doesn't seem to affect the flight dynamics of
the drone at all.

Full details on the "Flying Digipeater", including pics, are here on my website:

    <http://WA8LMF.net/FlyingDigi>

I've had the "Flying Digi" up at about 15 feet above ground level so far,
testing for stability and EMI/RFI issues between the drone's radios &
electronics and the PicoAPRS transceiver.  So far, no problems observed.

Later this week, I'mm going to send it up to around 350 feet and see how much
APRS traffic it digis from around lower Michigan.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating  ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

11 Copies of UIview in Action on One Computer!
Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
    <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>