[aprssig] Packet Compressed Sensing Imaging (PCSI)

Ross Whenmouth ross at topwire.co.nz
Wed Jul 8 02:16:24 EDT 2020

Hi Jaye,

That is not how "compressed sensing" works.
If you only receive 75% of the packets, your computer can still
reproduce a representation of the original image, but the picture
quality won't be as good as what you would see if your computer had
received 100% of the packets.
This is a good intro to compressed sensing:
http://www.pyrunner.com/weblog/2016/05/26/compressed-sensing-python/

One possible mode of operation might be as a "digital fountain" (search
term: "fountain code") where the sending machine keeps sending packets
until the recipient(s) machines tell the sending machine that they have
successfully received enough packets and it can now stop sending.
It doesn't matter which recipients receive which packets, provided that
each receiver receives enough packets, which means that there is no need
to send the same packet twice (which wastes air-time for those who have
already received the duplicated packet).

73 ZL2WRW
Ross Whenmouth