[aprssig] USB GPS for tracker

Patrick winston at winston1.net
Tue Jan 28 00:06:09 EST 2020

you can't do that with USB because the whole point of USB is to make the
hardware cheap by making most of the heavy listing happen in software,
but the flip side is every device requires specific drivers, which
requires more than a postage stamp device, and if it could you'd have to
customize it for every usb device which would push you outside of
reasonable for this sort of project.  I mean you could do all this with
a pi zero, but if you're using a pi why not do the whole tracker in
software and get rid of the byonics thing  lol

On 1/27/2020 7:14 PM, jdubner at gmail.com wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Thank you for your reply.  $12 certainly isn't "above my threshold of
> pain" but I was hoping there would be a postage stamp-size device that
> would accept USB and output serial similar to those available for
> Windows PCs.  Not so, I'm afraid so I will take your suggestion.
> Appreciate it and thanks again.
>
> 73,
> Joe, K7JD
> Independence, OR  USA
>

> Patrick wrote on 1/26/2020 21:07:
>> It isn't typically easy and would vary depending on the GPS module
>> used in
>> whatever usb device you have.  That said you can get rs232 GPS from
>> AliExpress for ~ 12$ so it sorta is to the point that you would be
>> better
>> off just spending the money for a working off the peg part.

>> On Sun., Jan. 26, 2020, 10:46 p.m. , <jdubner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an old Byonics MicroTrak 300 APRS tracker and a couple of
>>> different
>>> USB
>>> GPS's.  Is there a cheap/fast/good way to adapt a USB GPS for this
>>> tracker