[aprssig] AX.25 + FEC = FX.25

Rob Riggs mobilinkd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 22:49:57 EST 2020

Hi John,

Thanks for publishing this.

All of the FX.25 specs seem to ignore the distinction between the HDLC
layer (framing, bit-stuffing, FCS) and the AX.25 frame.

This looks like it might be a bit of a challenge to implement in memory-
and cpu-constrained devices. All of the HDLC framing, including
bit-stuffing, must be done and stored in memory, prior to applying the
FEC.  And the raw HDLC frame needs to be saved, including stuffed bits,
while demodulating in order to do the error recovery.

I still may give implementing this a shot at some point.

Kind Regards,

Rob Riggs WX9O
Mobilinkd LLC