[aprssig] AX.25 + FEC = FX.25

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 21:45:53 EST 2020

On 1/13/2020 9:08 PM, John Langner WB2OSZ wrote:

> FX.25 is a clever scheme to add forward error correction (FEC) to AX.25
> while maintaining total compatibility with older equipment.  FX.25 has been
> used for more than a decade with some Amateur Radio satellites.
> Implementations were oriented toward that very specialized application and
> not suitable for general purpose use.
>
> FX.25 has recently been integrated into a general purpose TNC making it very
> easy to use.  Many other AX.25 based applications can now gain the benefits
> while retaining complete compatibility with older equipment.
>
> For more details, see
> https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/dev/doc/AX25_plus_FEC_equals_FX25.pd

The link, as  you published it, generates a 404 error because the final letter
"f" in ".PDF" wrapped to another line.  For most mail clients, enclosing the
URL string in "<" and ">" will  force the mail reader to treat the string as a
single continuous line, even if it wraps to a second line.  I.e. like this:

<https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/dev/doc/AX25_plus_FEC_equals_FX25.pdf>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps