[aprssig] Station Callsign

wa7skg wa7skg at wa7skg.com
Tue Feb 11 18:32:03 EST 2020

In looking at my logs, I see some stations I can find no associated
callsign for. One prominent example is VCAPK. Its position shows it
hundreds of miles north of me which looks like it should be a bunch of
hops. I thought these kinds of stations were limited to just a couple of
hops to keep their information local. It is filling up my  messages log
with telemetry information, about eight transmissions every 20 minutes
or so. Another one is NPLNS which is sending a block of four messages
twice every 10 minutes.

I guess my main curiosity is how these are beaconing without any
reference to a callsign? I understand that digis can use aliases or
tactical callsigns, but shouldn't they somewhere along the line be at
least linked somehow to a valid amateur callsign?

Still learning,

Michael WA7SKG