[aprssig] Missing Digipeater

spam8mybrain spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 11:46:36 EST 2020

Ok, let's look at some of your assumptions.

1. Digipeater != I-gate. Just because a station is a digipeater does not mean it has Internet connectivity. In fact, the characteristics of a good digipeater site (high on a mountain) tends to make it difficult to get an Internet connection, so most I-gates are home stations, and very few I-gates are also digipeaters. So the digipeater could be operating fine, but no I-gates are operating within range to forward its packets to the APRS-IS backbone.2. Your station may or may not be able to communicate directly with the W7SRA digipeater. Check your logs from when you were last hearing the digipeater's beacons, and look at the digipeat path. Was there another (fill-in) digipeater between you and the W7SRA digi? If so, is _that_ digipeater still operating? Note that said fill-in digi may not do path tracing, so you'll have to check if any aliases were used up, even if the fill-in digi's callsign wasn't inserted into the path.Basically, if you were depending on a fill-in digi, and it's gone out of service, it's not the wide-area digipeater's fault that you can't hear it without the fill-in. 3. What _is_ the range and coverage of your station? Check the locations of all stations you can hear directly (without digipeating) to see what your coverage is? Did some building project near you recently add an obstruction to your line-of-sight to the digi you were directly using (without intermediate relays)?For example, my QTH is on the North side of a granite hill (not at the top), such that I can walk up my back yard and look _down_ at my 25-foot-high antennas. So I cannot see any stations to the South directly, only via digipeater.4. As has been said many times before, aprs.fi is _NOT_ a propagation analysis tool. The APRS-IS backbone deliberately drops duplicate packets, so only the first I-gate to insert a particular packet into the network will have its packet path counted.5. Please be nice to your fellow ham radio operators. Remember, these digipeaters and I-gates are not a government-funded public service. Just like voice repeaters, they are privately owned by individuals or clubs, who are prohibited by law from being financially compensated for running these stations (and tower rentals are _expensive_!), and have no obligation to run them other than their charitable instincts towards the general amateur radio community (or at least to their dues-paying club membership).Many people who were gifting to the community in this way (or in other related areas like open-source free software) have given up doing so because of obnoxious users who were either abusing the resource or were demanding a level of customer support one would only get from a business if you were paying for a high-level support contract (and these people are doing it in their spare time after their day-jobs at their own expense).So please be nice to the people who are allowing you to use their stations.Andrew, KA2DDOauthor of YAAC (one of those open-source free software packages)