[aprssig] Missing Digipeater

wa7skg wa7skg at wa7skg.com
Fri Feb 7 10:41:13 EST 2020

We have a prominent digipeater in our area (W7SRA) that has excellent
coverage and most of the stations I hear are relayed through it.
According to my logs and looking at aprs.fi, it was last active on 1/26
at 2218L. The aprs.fi log does show one beacon on 2/6 at 0122L, but no
other activity as best as I can tell.

Since it went down, I now receive almost no information from anyone but
one station a mile from me I hear direct and an occasional transient mobile.

I believe my equipment is working properly and I believe the aprs.fi
website is also functioning and reporting properly. I have tried
contacting the sysop who basically said as far as he is concerned the
digipeater is functioning properly and he will entertain no further
communication on the subject. I received that info indirectly, as no one
will tell me who the actual sysop is so I may contact him directly.

I guess my question is, am I interpreting the information on aprs.fi
correctly? Other than aprs.fi and my own base station (my mobile station
is not operational at this time), are there any other ways to determine
if a digipeater is functioning? If it is functioning properly, why does
it not show up on aprs.fi?

BTW, I am still very new to APRS and trying to figure all this out.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Michael WA7SKG