[aprssig] Proposal for APRS12 spec fix - Telemetry should allow for 000-999

John Langner WB2OSZ wb2osz at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 23:52:12 EDT 2020

We already had this conversation earlier this month.

About 5 years ago I was looking at a lot of APRS telemetry signals and found
that almost no one followed the original rule of exactly 3 digits in the
range of 000 - 255.

Pretty much everyone was using variable length fields and often decimal
points.   I tried several popular APRS applications and found they were all
happy with variable length numbers containing decimal points.

"Kenneth's proposal" is simply recognition of what has already been common
practice for a long time.  Technology has changed.  We can get values from
places other than 8 bit A/D converters.

If there are still any applications that can't decode the more flexible
format, they should be updated.  The EQNS messages should still be
recognized, for compatibility with ancient implementations, but there is
really no reason to generate them anymore.