[aprssig] Proposal for APRS12 spec fix - Telemetry should allow for 000-999

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue Apr 28 16:46:05 EDT 2020

Hi,

The base91 telemetry is a different, parallel track. It was implemented to
allow transmitting telemetry together with position packets, as some
trackers want to transmit a few voltage parameters or such and it's nice
to be able to send them together with the position in a highly compressed
format. Mic-E telemetry got superseded/conflicted by Mic-E type codes so
it did not work any more. Base91 telemetry has been implemented in quite a
few places now, and as a side effect it also provides a sequence number
for the position packet which is otherwise missing in all the position
formats.

Kenneth's proposal just relaxes the "regular" telemetry packet format
further, to allow large values (outside 0-255 or 0-999), negative values,
and decimal values (-0.005 or whatever). And to allow a variable length
format.