[aprssig] aprs.fi supports Kenneth's proposed telemetry format

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu Apr 2 17:44:27 EDT 2020

Hi,

Recently I made aprs.fi support Kenneth's relaxed telemetry format, which
basically documents what a lot of people have been doing already:
transmitting large, negative and decimal values in telemetry without
limiting to the 0-255 integer range, and without sending EQNS.

Kenneth's proposal is here:

https://github.com/PhirePhly/aprs_notes/blob/master/telemetry_format.md

My long story is here (please read before replying):

http://blog.aprs.fi/2020/03/aprsfi-supports-kenneths-proposed.html

This makes transmitting telemetry quite a bit easier, since you can skip
the EQNS mess and just transmit the data. It also adds a lot of resolution
and range, -2147483648 and 2147483647 in my decoder. It also makes
receiving telemetry much easier since you don't have to look for EQNS and
match it up (unless you need to support old transmitters).

Old decoders won't accept the data though. The new decoder and proposed
protocol is compatible in a way that it does accept data transmitted by
any old encoders.

I would like to ask other APRS implementations to support this new
proposal. Please discuss!

   - Hessu