[aprssig] APRS: IoT via Ham Radio (-> telemetry format)

John Langner WB2OSZ wb2osz at comcast.net
Wed Nov 20 20:02:30 EST 2019

Hessu wrote:

>  It'd make sense to relax this limit and
>  adopt Kenneth's Proposed Telemetry Format.

Yes, a lot of people reached that same conclusion long ago.

A few years ago, when doing some research, I looked at a lot of signals over
the air and a few different APRS telemetry implementations.    What I found
is that essentially no one pays attention to the original restriction of
exactly 3 digits in the range of 000 to 255.  Variable length floating point
numbers are the norm and all of the applications that I looked at knew how
to deal with them.

Further reading:
https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/master/doc/APRS-Telemetry-Toolkit.pd