[aprssig] APRS: IoT via Ham Radio (-> telemetry format)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed Nov 20 15:21:06 EST 2019

Bob,

Yes, a lot of devices send values like that. But that example is
disallowed by the specification and may be rejected by some receivers,
since 845 and 345 are both outside the APRS101.PDF specified range of
0-255:

"There are five 8-bit unsigned analog data values (expressed as 3-digit
decimal numbers in the range 000–255)"

It'd make sense to relax this limit and adopt Kenneth's Proposed Telemetry
Format. Old transmitters will still meet the spec so it's backwards
compatible for those.
https://github.com/PhirePhly/aprs_notes/blob/master/telemetry_format.md

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> We always choose an R1/R2 volytage divider in the sending device so that
> the"count" in the telemetry packet makes human sense even without equations
> generally.   IE, T#000,845,345,123,xxx,xxx,01000001
> Would mean 8.45 volts on channel 1, 345 mA on channel 2, and 1.23 volts on
> the 3rd channel and so on.
>
> This works well on linear sensors.
> bob

   - Hessu