[aprssig] APRS Invasion of Dayton (actually Xenia, OH) Has Begun! (Talkin?)

Miroslav Skoric skoric at uns.ac.rs
Wed May 15 14:41:39 EDT 2019

On 5/15/19 6:48 PM, Stephen H. Smith via aprssig wrote:

> You've been proselytizing about this for literally decades, but the APRS
> uptake among the general ham population is still less than 5-7%.   Most
> event organizers are still totally clueless about APRS.  I have beaconed
> major hamfests, club meetings, etc around Michigan (and California
> before that) for many years.  When I would happen to mention that I was
> doing that to principals of event, the usual response  is total lack of
> comprehension.

+1

I did that similarly few times for my conference presentations in other
countries and continents. Some local hams who had already been active in
APRS found that interesting and even a few contacted me prior my travels
to their places.

> Further, I do a fair number of presentations to radio clubs each year on
> APRS, soundcard interfaces, SSTV, radio (MARS/AFVN) in Viet Nam, etc.
> Before the presentation, I always ask the audience if anyone saw it or
> found out about it on APRS.   In over 2 decades of doing these things, I
> have NEVER had a YES response to this question.

Stephen, contact me off-list if capable and interested in presentations
abroad.

> Based on my recent experience with plotting the APRS Internet feed only
> on maps here in central Michigan, I find that the majority of actual
> mobile users (i.e. not digipeaters, igates, WX stations, etc) I see are
> entering the APRS network exclusively directly from the Internet via
> smartphone apps.    1)  These stations never get seen on RF.  2)  They
> don't even have a (ham) radio so the tune objects are totally useless to
> them.

That's why I am sort of happy because there are no I-gates in my nearby
area, so practically all I receive is pure RF.

Misko YT7MPB