[aprssig] APRS Email from Space! (ET Phone Home)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jun 29 21:23:59 EDT 2019

Yesterday I received the first amateur email from space.  PSAT2 is
programmed to send me an Email via APRS about once a day reporting its
health.  This email was captured by VK6HAM ground station in Australia and
forwarded to me:

Email from PSAT2:  PSAT2 reporting Home [004960,0I801]{019

It did not happen automatically because it looks like we didn’t put enough
spaces to pad out the callsign to the required 9 character callsign field.
ARGH!

Is there anyone else out there who has EMAIL forwarding code that would be
willing to look for these incorrect formatted Emails on the APRS-IS and
automatically email them to me?

This is an exciting capability to demonstrate for Ham radio and amateur
satellites.  I’d like to see it work.

Email me and I can give you the details.

Bob, WB4APR