[aprssig] Tesla Field Day mode (or any EV/Hybrid) FD load

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Feb 28 16:52:03 EST 2019

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> PS, yes, you can find a 1 kW HVDC to 13.8V converter in every modern
> hybrid.  In the Camry, it is a stand-along black box that you can get form
> junkyards but price is high.  In the prius, that "converter" is embedded
> in the HV system and cannot be dug out individually.  But again, why
> bother.  Every Hybrid or EV is already doing that 1kW HVDC to 13.8v
> conversion in its trunk, so you just connect to the 13.8v battery and then
> invert to 60 Hz and you got it at 1 kW.
   That is all well and good, but I have learned from painful personal experience
that the Prius' charging system for the 12V battery ONLY runs when the car is in
'READY' mode.  I made the mistake of leaving the map light on, and I returned
several days later to find a car that would not boot up at all, despite the fact
that it had been plugged in to my level 2 charger the whole time. This is a 2014
Prius Plug-in model.

--
Rick Green  N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

 			http://www.MoveToAmend.org