[aprssig] Tesla Field Day mode (or any EV/Hybrid) at work

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Feb 28 14:48:53 EST 2019

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 8:47 AM Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>
>        If just one of those spots is covered with 12 solar panels, that is enough to provide free transportation 40 miles a day) forever.
>
> If a solar footprint that size could actually provide a useful amount of power to the vehicle, why the heck would you put it on the GROUND and not on the VEHICLE???

   'That Size' is approximately 96 square feet, or 6 feet by 16 feet,
approximately the entire footprint of a passenger car. How many vehicles could
you sell with the boxy shape it would take to have 96 square feet of essentially
flat roof?
   Installing solar cells directly on a vehicle would also be wastefully
inefficient, as they would not be optimally oriented to the sun, and once the
onboard batteries were fully charged, any energy captured could not be utilized
unless the car were connected to an external load.  These inefficiencies would
have the effect of increasing the 'payback time' for the system, and considering
the cost of funds and the short lifespan of the typical passenger car, payback
may be never.
   Solar panels installed as a 'carport shelter' over existing parking lots is
already being implemented.   Fixed installations may be grid-tied or have other
fixed 'dump loads' to utilize the excess power generated, and will certainly
outlive the vehicles they are charging on day one.
   The local Chevy dealer installed just such an array over their car lot when
the Volt was introduced. I'm assuming that was mostly considered an advertising
promotional expense, but in my travels, I've observed similar installations on a
larger scale at Michigan State University, and also along I-10 in Tucson, AZ.
If the technology is economically viable in those disparate places, it's
probably viable everywhere.
   Providing Grid power for charging at worksites during the peak demand
afternoons would further exacerbate that problem.  Providing Grid-tied Solar at
daytime worksites would benefit the employees, the employer's business, and the
community at large.

...and as for Field Day itself, is there an inverter on the market today which
will accept the high voltage DC input of today's hybrids and EVs, and will also
self-start without a grid-tie clock source?  In the ~10Kw range?  With US
standard 240VAC Split-phase output?  That's my estimate of what it would take to
run a 5 transmitter club FD operation comfortably...  The Tesla's battery pack
is about 75 KwH, right? Or about 3 Kw average load for a 24 hour FD operation,
so I'm guessing a 10Kw inverter would handle the peaks.

--
Rick Green N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

 			http://www.MoveToAmend.org