[aprssig] Tesla Field Day mode (or any EV/Hybrid) at work

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:17:28 EST 2019

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 8:47 AM Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> Charging at work is a good answer to that for many people.

You misspelled "very few people".  Cmon Bob, you're an engineer, do the
math. A quick glance out my window shows about 100 parking places. to equip
each one with a "$15 Home Depot outlet" would require something like 50
weatherproof outdoor receptacles and 1500 amps of capacity. I guarantee
your $15 each "estimate" is off by at least an order of magnitude, probably
2.

 If just one of those spots is covered with 12 solar panels, that is enough
> to provide free transportation 40 miles a day) forever.

If a solar footprint that size could actually provide a useful amount of
power to the vehicle, why the heck would you put it on the GROUND and not
on the VEHICLE???

PEVs are only a partial solution to the transportation needs for many, and
I suspect of those many the vast majority are like me and cannot afford to
have a PEV daily driver _and_ an ICE to do the rest of the work, so we
stick with the single vehicle that solves all the transportation problems.

Once solar and storage advance to the point where an EV can be a daily
driver without plugging in, have a 500 mile range on battery, and have an
infrastructure for charging that's either as ubiquitous as parking or as
fast as pumping 20 gallons of gas, then they'll become generally useful.
Until then they're a novelty.

Hybrids are shown to have the highest TCO, which should be obvious to
anyone who thinks about it for more than 0.37 seconds - you have 2 complete
systems to feed and care for, not just one.

And if the greenies every stopped repeating the CO2 mantra and actually
looked at the total environmental impact of EVs - rare earth mining,
battery disposal, etc - they'd be a lot less excited about them.

-Jason
kg4wsv