[aprssig] Tesla Field Day mode (or any EV/Hybrid)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Feb 25 12:10:13 EST 2019

V2G charging and grid management:

I think this Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) concept will never take off, simply
because it cannot work unless the cars are plugged-in all day.  This WILL
work if workplaces do employee charging the right way, that is, with rows
and rows of parking spaces with simple 120v outlets.  During an 8 hour
work day, the average EV can gain up to 30 miles of daily range to
replenish their incoming commute while costing about 50 cents a day.

But since so few "employers" have any EV experience, they opt for very
expensive $5000 Level 2 chargers instead of a $15 outlet from Home Depot.
As a result, these big expensive chargers have to be shared throughout the
day, require expensive internet and credit card connectivity and
management and each person that plugs in only for an hour or so has to
move their car every hour or so and does not want any of his electricity
to go back to the grid, he wants the charge!

But with every car plugged into a 120v outlet (the right way), the
employer can use that fixed daily load to balance his dynamic load and
thereby actually reduce his peak-demand charges.  And the financial
benefit of demand-response loading can likely exceed the 50 cents a day to
charge an EV and so most likely allow the employer to provide the charging
for FREE.

It's a win-win.  Every EV gets a pretty good commuter charge per day for
low cost or free, the employer saves electric bill money by managing peak
demand, and the grid wins by reducing dynamic demand..  And all of this is
accomplished without ever having to use V2G and all its inherent social
negativity.

Its an exciting new world of energy.  If people will just wake up to the
potential...

Bob, WB4APR