[aprssig] re-purposing MFG 1278B?

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Tue Dec 10 13:11:14 EST 2019

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019, Ron VE8RT wrote:
>    there is a MFJ 1278B sitting on a shelf here.  From reading the
> thread on YAAC I've learned that TAPR offer (or offered at one time)
> replacement EPROMS.  My questions are: is the MFJ 1278B worth an EPROM
> upgrade (what would it be good at)?  And if so, where could I buy
> replacement EPROMS and documentation?  I've glanced at the TAPR
> website and don't know exactly what I'd be looking for.
>
>    Thanks, Ron VE8RT

The 1278 tends to default to 2400,E,7,1 IIRC. Annoying enough that a
brain swap is an improvement. If you have a need for something that does
the job in hardware, it's not a bad idea. OTOH, there are TNCs out there
which have software DCD, and a software DCD should be used with a TNC2
clone.

DCD is an active low input on the TNC, and by pulling DCD to ground,
it's possible to allow a TNC to share a radio.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Architect, Systems Mangler, & Network Mismanager