[aprssig] Thinking about YAAC

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Dec 9 00:16:37 EST 2019

On 12/8/2019 11:19 PM, wa7skg wrote:
> I'm looking at alternatives to Xastir for an APRS client and ran across YAAC.
> The only mailing list I found was for Alpha testers on Yahoo groups. Of
> course Yahoo groups is a dying animal, so I thought I'd try here.
>
> My first issue in setting up YAAC is with my hardware. I have an old original
> MFJ-1274(NO suffix) TNC2 clone. It does not do KISS, so I'm wondering if it
> will work with YAAC. Still looking for up to date documentation.
>
> After setting this up on my base, I am planning to use it mobile with an RPi
> and TNC-Pi.
>
> Looking for any comments, experiences, etc.
>
> tnx es 73,
> Michael WA7SKG

Try using DireWolf or the UZ7HO Soundmodem instead of the archaic 40-year-old
hardware TNC2 device.  These  soundcard soft TNCs have infinitely better
performance on weak marginal signals than legacy hardware --and-- present both
AGWpe and KISS-over-IP interfaces to applications.  They also eliminate a box
and the nearly half-amp @ 12VDC power drain of the TNC2.

Note that the UZ7HO Soundmodem is a Windows application (though I have heard it
can be made to work in Linux with a Wine kludge). DireWolf is available in
native versions for both Windows and Linux -- i.e. would be usable on the Pi.

If you really want to use the legacy MFJ-1274, replace it's MFJ firmware eproms
with the final release of the generic TAPR TNC2 firmware (ver 1.1.9) which DOES
have KISS mode.       I've put this in numerous MFJ TNC2 clones and it works
just fine.

   Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps