[aprssig] Multi control station situational awareness - (kenwoods)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 11:05:47 EST 2019

On 12/4/2019 10:04 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> ØBy the way, the D700 TNC is a REALLY mediocre-performing device as well.
> In several test runs, Direwolf and the UZ7HO "Soundmodem" software TNCs
> copied almost THREE times as many beacons as the D700 hardware TNC.
>
> The problem in this case was what was doing the transmitting?  A typically
> non-tweaked packet transmitter can be FULL Scale on a kenwood and some other
> TNC’s and not decoded.  But a properly balanced packet can be fully dedoded
> on a kenwood down to only 3 bars on the s units.
>
> The problem is that 90% of all packets on the air were never properly tweaked
> for optimum performance.  Just put it up and it works!  (but fails miserably
> in weak signals).
>
> Repeat your test with a kenwood doing the transmitting (known factory good
> signal) and a kenwood doing the receiving and you will see an order of
> magnitude improvement in performance comparted to most signals on the air.

Are you then suggesting that only Kenwood devices be allowed in organized APRS
activities???

In this test, the transmitter ("ammo-box" tracker) was a TinyTrack III
connected to a Yaesu FT-1500 2-meter monobander's 6-pin mini-DIN data port.
The FT-1500's data port yields flat (not pre-emphasized) TX audio response,
just like a D700.   The transmitting  FM deviation was monitored and set to
exactly 3.5 KHz peak, using my IFR-1500 communications service monitor.

This test reflected the receive decode performance of signals sent from a
single transmitting device.   In casual monitoring while on cross-country road
trips, listening to many different transmitters from different users, some
fully-quieted and some noisy & scratchy, I see the same pattern.   It is clear
that the soundcard soft TNCs, fed raw discriminator audio from the mini-DIN
data port, are far more tolerant of malformed, over-deviated, under-deviated,
incorrectly equalized, or just plain weak and noisy TX signals than the D700's
own TNC.

In the real world, the great majority of APRS signals are being originated by
NON-Kenwood devices, with a wide range of optimal and not-so-optimal settings
that you have no control over. Having a demodulator that can tolerate these
marginal signals successfully is a HUGE advantage.

This is NOT a case of the D700 transmitter somehow being magically "tweaked".
It is a case of the D700 hardware TNC being an inferior DECODER of marginal
real-world signals than the soundcard software TNCs.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps