[aprssig] APRStt (touchtone) lives

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 8 11:46:52 EDT 2019

With the coming launch of PSAT2 containing APRStt (DTMF) uplinks and Voice
response downlinks, I hope to re-invigorate the use of DTMF radios for use
in field events.  To get closer to 100% data reporting from volunteers
than just the 20% who have APRS radios.  See:
http://aprs.org/aprstt.html

Anyone with a DTMF radio can send data into APRS using APRStt.

See http://aprs.org/PSAT2/USER-Operations-Manual.doc

Although the satellite focuses entirely on  GRIDS and DTMF messaging using
the ARRL radiograms, I want to start to build message templates for local
events (where DTMF reporting can be most valuable).

We need a MARATHON template.  To build this I need to have inputs on ALL
the possible messages that field units report during a marathon.  Please
add to, or correct this list.  Remember, each message will be associated
with a callsign or location ID.  And once received on the DTMF channel
will be spoken  back to the sending station and will be converted to APRS
over on the APRS data channel.

Remember, it will only take 2 to 4 keypresses on DTMF to send any of these
reports:

1.  Runner XX just passed
2.  Female XX just passed
3.  Handicapped XX just passed
4.  EMS is on scene
5.  Need more water
6.  Need checkpoint captain
7.  Runner XX is down
8.  Need EMS
9.  Am at checkpoint XX
10. ....?

Here is one we use all the time to completely replace voice at our Scout
Jamborees for reporting troop scores at each station:

1. Troop number XX scored YY at this location (only takes 4 key presses
XXYY SEND)

So, anyway we can have up to 99 such pre-formatted DTMF messages... I need
input.

Bob, Wb4APR