[aprssig] Argent Tracker4

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Mar 26 14:31:51 EDT 2018

The FC-301 has been discontinued but the FC-302 replaced it and is
pretty nice.  I'm planning to work on a T4 version that will fit in it.
The 302's cast aluminum housing is really sturdy and has better heat
dissipation than the 301, but it makes it harder to add extra
connectors.  I've built a mock up with a vertically-mounted USB type B
in the lid that's suitable for programming, but having a USB cable
coming out of the top of the case, at right angles to everything else,
isn't really ideal for a permanent installation.

We can machine holes in the main body of the case and fit in the
required connectors, but taking the radio electronics out first is
tedious.  Having Friendcom do the modifications would require a large
minimum order if they'd do it at all.  I think our best bet is going to
be to try to machine the pockets not quite all the way through the case
and leave a very thin layer that can be punched out in one piece without
contaminating the electronics.  I'll be doing more experiments with that
later this year.

Scott
N1VG