[aprssig] APRS balloon down in WV/MD/VA

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 8 10:33:20 EDT 2018

The KC8UCH-11 Balloon is down in an area equidistant from Cumberland, MD,
Haggerstown, MD and Winchester VA.
And a few miles west of Martinsburg.

It was launched in Canada and flew overnight.

This was a long distance balloon, I doubt the launch crew will come down
here looking for it.

So, a great DF hunt opportunity.  My guess at the landing coordinates are
39N 32.0' and 78W 11.5'
And here is my plot of my prediction:

http://aprs.org/balloon.png

It was coming down going SE and headed right for a ridge line with the
land elevation rising.  So I think the prediction should be pretty good
(except for whatever the wind was doing right on the ground as it was
going up and over that ridge?)

Bob, WB4APR