[aprssig] APRS on Amtrak, DC to Minneapolis

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Fri Jun 1 14:02:57 EDT 2018

Trains are tough! They follow valleys, rivers, and such. And, are almost always in the lowest spots!

You need to travel in an observation car if available! It will be a bit higher and have less shielding around you. Not only will the radio get better coverage, your eyes will too! J Too bad if this is not an option!

A better-than-HT-antenna (1/4 – 1/2 wave?) and more power should help.

If you look into building a battery pack, you may want to look at this page, http://oh8stn.org/.

I am a fan of LiFePO4 batteries and am considering building a pack myself. A 4S pack would be a good voltage, then just add capacity. These two items may be of interest.

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-40152SE-Cell-3.2V-15-Ah-150ASurge-Rate-48Wh-with-6M-screw-Termin.aspx

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-40152SE-Cell-3.2V-15-Ah-150ASurge-Rate-48Wh-with-6M-screw-Termin.aspx

Buddipole has built battery packs. They are build using the A123Systems batteries. They may do a custom configuration. They use 3.2V cells.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH