[aprssig] Mobile Power Output

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:37:32 EST 2018

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 10:05 PM, Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com> wrote:
> He said I will need a minimum of 50 watts and the frequent transmissions
> will pretty much eliminate the possibility of other 2 meter operations while
> I have the APRS running.

Ev has some good advice on figuring out if the APRS power level
suggestion is accurate.

I'll comment on the "eliminate the possibility of other 2m
operations".  That is wildly exaggerated if not quite completely
wrong.  I'll admit I've primarily operated Kenwood APRS radios that
integrate quite well with concurrent voice operations.  Even without
that level of integration, the worst case is that your APRS rig will
desense your voice rig for ~1s every time it transmits.  I don't think
that is particularly significant.  Conversely your voice rig will
prevent reception of APRS while you're transmitting.

-Jason
kg4wsv