[aprssig] Mobile Power Output

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 23:05:14 EST 2018

I was mentioning to a local ham I was interested in putting APRS in my
truck. (I'm still digesting all the great comments from my previous query.)
He said I will need a minimum of 50 watts and the frequent transmissions
will pretty much eliminate the possibility of other 2 meter operations
while I have the APRS running. This news is certainly disconcerting. My
original intention was to use a Raspberry Pi with a TNC-Pi connected to a
Kenwood HT with an external antenna. Having to add another full sized
mobile radio and running that much power with all the other radios in my
truck might be an issue.

So, is the need for 50 watts realistic? I do live in a rural area, but
other 2 meter use seems to get by quite well with handheld radios.

Thanks,
Michael WA7SKG