[aprssig] Accessible APRS programs?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 11:12:01 EDT 2017

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017, spam8mybrain wrote:

> I just got an interesting question on the mailing list for my program YAAC. A blind amateur radio operator asked me how to set up my program to work with his screen reader (an assistive technology used by visually impaired people), because nothing was showing up in his screen reader when he ran YAAC.
> I've never actually worked on software supporting assistive technologies, although a visually impaired friend did design my rather bland website so it would be easy to read with assistive technology (hence why it is so bland: no excessive decorations and animations to confuse screen readers and the like). So, have any other APRS client program authors (or authors of other ham radio software) done anything explicitly to make their programs more accessible?

No. I don't recall ever getting a request like that for our project.

> This seems like it would be exceptionally difficult for APRS because data comes in asynchronously from dozens of uncoordinated sources, not sequentially from a single source like most other one-to-one or round-robin (voice net) type amateur radio communications.

Agreed, but perhaps messaging could be simplified so that works well for them. Same for text-based dialogs for configuration, etc.

I got a request from a friend a long time back who was red-green (or was it red-blue?) colorblind. He wanted me to change the colors so that he could more easily distinguish between them. He's now SK.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://we7u.wetnet.net/aprs_capabilities.html